Wednesday, November 02, 2011

An Expedition Through Photography




I don’t think the Loch Ness monster is invisible
like the invisible stars in an urban night sky
because binoculars make those stars easy to see
and monster hunters are always looking at Loch Ness
through cameras and binoculars and telescopes.

But I often take photographs and people ask me
where I took this or that picture and when I tell them
they say they just drove or walked past that very spot but
they didn’t see whatever it was I photographed
and then the next day they’ll tell me they went by the spot
and sure enough there it was just like in my picture.

Sometimes something is there to be seen, but it’s not seen.

A photograph is a composition, it’s framing.

I think the Loch Ness monster is always there except
it can only be seen when the framing is just right.

I think monsters are an issue of composition.

This expedition, I think, goes through photography
to the wilds on the other side of photography.


























No comments: