Friday, October 07, 2011

The French Word For ‘Dragon’ Is ‘Dragon’





A few days ago I exchanged e-mails
with a woman who believed dinosaurs
existed relatively recently
and were the basis for our dragon myths.

She thinks the spread of civilization
caused the extinction of the dinosaurs
as humans exterminated the beasts
to make the country-side around cities
safe for agriculture on a large scale
that’s necessary to support cities.

I asked her, What about the dinosaurs
that lived in the oceans or in the wilds
far away from any human cities?


She said, “Maybe some of those are still there.”

I don’t know if she was flirting with me
or if she really believed dinosaurs
might be out there somewhere eluding us.

And I don’t know which I think is more weird:
The notion dinosaurs might still exist,
or the thought a woman could flirt with me
talking about the possibility
that dinosaurs aren’t really extinct.

“Expedition,” I’ve read, is a French word
about preparing, then going somewhere.








. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


“Expedition” at alphaDictionary





AN IMPOSSIBLE KISSES CLARIFICATION:

At the top of this post the picture links to
a Carnegie Museum of Natural History website.
Then the body of this post talks about the belief
that dinosaurs may still exist.

I did NOT mean to imply that anybody at the
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
believes dinosaurs may still exist. I linked
to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History
simply because that’s where I found
the great picture of the Stegosaurus skeleton.

The cool woman I talk about in the body
of the post, Beth, who believes the spread
of civilization drove dinosaurs to extinction,
is a believer in what gets called Creation Science.

I did NOT mean to imply in any way that the
rigorous, clear-thinking, button-down scientists
at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History
in any way endorse Creation Science.

No, no, no.




















No comments: