Friday, October 28, 2011

This Is Not “Fashion Bulletin I’m Yours”



I have a lot of clear acrylic gesso
and two or three kinds of glazing medium
but I’m not going to the craft store to buy
a large canvas panel to make a collage
that would be called, “Fashion Bulletin I’m Yours”

It would look like this, but carefully scrunched up:


The text “Fashion Bulletin” is at the top
and “I’m Yours” is in the lower right corner.

I love stuff like this and my friend Alison
did great work, but I don’t think I’m very good.

I really don’t like working with photographs
taken by other people and that’s the fun
of a magazine collage, mixing up junk
other people struggled to make into art,
well, you know, not art, but magazine content.

The photograph in the upper left corner
has a Salma Hayek quote: “If you’re a girl
who cannot walk in heels, it doesn’t matter
how beautiful you are
.” Mixing up the junk
other people struggled to make into art,
well, you know, not art, but magazine content,
is the fun of doing magazine collage.

I’m not going to buy a canvas panel
and carefully position these images
then use acrylic polymer emulsions
to glaze the panel something like a painting.

I like women in thousand dollar tee shirts
but there’s no fun in magazines any more.

Salma Hayek might not be food for the soul.



























No comments: