Friday, July 23, 2010

Sunlight On Lidian Emerson




When trees are in shadow and sunlight shines
on the utility pole holding up
wires delivering electricity
to air conditioners and TV sets
and refrigerators and computers
the pole looks competent, strong, official.


When the cloud shadows move and sunlight shines
on the tops of trees, simple bright green leaves
don’t really look strong or official but
they look competent in a leafy way
and the wires and electric light look bare
in their efficient scientific way.




Yes I would miss my air conditioner,
television and refrigerator.
And someday my computer’s battery
would need to be recharged and I would miss
those poles, so competent, strong, official
and the electrical wires they support.


But I remind myself these words I write
I could be writing on a paper sheet
using a pencil. Thoreau made pencils.
I could go to someone’s house for dinner.
Emerson’s wife sometimes cooked for Thoreau.
I bet she was pretty in the sunlight.














. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Lindsay Lohan And Rupert Sheldrake


What Is The Opposite Of Transcendent?
















No comments: