Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Calculating Marigold Space


A few nights ago I had dinner in a restaurant and when the waitress brought my tea she brought along a little container of honey. I hadn’t seen honey in a long time and, predictably, I spent the rest of the evening thinking and talking about colony collapse disorder.



A colony which has collapsed from CCD is generally characterized by all of these conditions occurring simultaneously:
  • Presence of capped brood in abandoned colonies. Bees normally will not abandon a hive until the capped brood have all hatched.


  • Presence of food stores, both honey and bee pollen:

    • which are not immediately robbed by other bees


    • which when attacked by hive pests such as wax moth and small hive beetle, the attack is noticeably delayed.

  • Presence of the Queen bee. If the Queen is not present, the hive died because it was queenless, which is not considered CCD.
Precursor symptoms that may arise before the final colony collapse are:
  • Insufficient workforce to maintain the brood that is present


  • Workforce seems to be made up of young adult bees


  • The colony members are reluctant to consume provided feed, such as sugar syrup and protein supplement.


Colony Collapse Disorder at Wikipedia








Some bees have figured out a place to go
and they dropped what they were doing and went.
For those with a philosophical bent,
civilization, folks said long ago,

crops up where two civilized people show.
I’m not sure what I bring or represent
when I’m one-of-two. Am I fraudulent?
Because that’s not civilization’s glow.

Somewhere a woman in a yellow dress
is observing a yellow butterfly
and nearby a bumble bee is humming.

I would drop what I’m doing, I confess,
and disappear, go to her now and try —
if I could calculate where — becoming.











. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Pyramids In Marigold Space



A Long Walk


Escape From Earth And The Status Cow



Yellow Dress! Yellow Dress!


The Apocalypse Of Her Yellow Dress


Yellow Dress: A Keyboard Odyssey


Chopin: Keyboards And Butterflies



Lex Luthor Versus Ludwika Chopin



The Leaky Yellow Pencil


What Malcontent Yellow Pencils Are Thinking




A Consolation And An Inspiration


Petting Butterflies





















No comments: