A few nights ago I had dinner in a restaurant and when the waitress brought my tea she brought along a little container of honey. I hadn’t seen honey in a long time and, predictably, I spent the rest of the evening thinking and talking about colony collapse disorder.
A colony which has collapsed from CCD is generally characterized by all of these conditions occurring simultaneously:
Precursor symptoms that may arise before the final colony collapse are:
- Presence of capped brood in abandoned colonies. Bees normally will not abandon a hive until the capped brood have all hatched.
- Presence of food stores, both honey and bee pollen:
- which are not immediately robbed by other bees
- which when attacked by hive pests such as wax moth and small hive beetle, the attack is noticeably delayed.
- Presence of the Queen bee. If the Queen is not present, the hive died because it was queenless, which is not considered CCD.
- Insufficient workforce to maintain the brood that is present
- Workforce seems to be made up of young adult bees
- The colony members are reluctant to consume provided feed, such as sugar syrup and protein supplement.
Some bees have figured out a place to go
and they dropped what they were doing and went.
For those with a philosophical bent,
civilization, folks said long ago,
crops up where two civilized people show.
I’m not sure what I bring or represent
when I’m one-of-two. Am I fraudulent?
Because that’s not civilization’s glow.
Somewhere a woman in a yellow dress
is observing a yellow butterfly
and nearby a bumble bee is humming.
I would drop what I’m doing, I confess,
and disappear, go to her now and try —
if I could calculate where — becoming.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Pyramids In Marigold Space
A Long Walk
Escape From Earth And The Status Cow
Yellow Dress! Yellow Dress!
The Apocalypse Of Her Yellow Dress
Yellow Dress: A Keyboard Odyssey
Chopin: Keyboards And Butterflies
Lex Luthor Versus Ludwika Chopin
The Leaky Yellow Pencil
What Malcontent Yellow Pencils Are Thinking
A Consolation And An Inspiration