Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Bride Of Muskie Light Switch


Wisconsin is not my favorite state but someday
I might return to it. Far north in Wisconsin.
If the place were a color-by-number fill-in
all the numbers would turn out muskie green and grey.

The Chippewa Flowage. Muskie hunters at play.
I usually fish ultralight but to win
the heart of a hungry muskie I’d ditch the thin
four pound test line for ten, keep my drag loose and pray.

There is a state I hope never to return to.
There is a state I’m sorry I was ever in.
There is a state I wish I never learned about.

It’s a muskie state, too. I was the fish. Hooked through
my jaw. Played. Netted. Landed. Filleted. Cooked. Bitten.
Chewed. Swallowed. Half-digested. Then vomited out.







- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -



Muskie Light Switch


Chippewa Flowage
















No comments: