Friday, July 10, 2009

Los Angeles Is My Daisy


So August has Taylor Swift on the cover of “Glamour” and Miley Cyrus on the cover of “Elle.”

I’m guessing that the insecure 35-year old women who read these magazines are going to be really happy that now they have to compete with the sexualized images of teenage Disney girls.

There was a time when this kind of pop tart extravaganza would have made me pretty happy. But for better and for worse over the last couple of years I’ve gone from thinking of Babylon Sisters as cool jazz to writing things like “Ode To The Concept Of Cotton Candy.”

I suspect that if I’m Gatsby then Los Angeles is my Daisy. When I look out across the lake in my mind the lights I see are the lights of an imaginary but real-life city, not the lights of my lost love’s pier and not the highlights in any young girl’s eyes.

But I wonder what Brian the dog from Family Guy would say about this?

















No comments: