Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mandy Moore In Traffic




I know a young woman who is careful
and always crosses streets at a crosswalk.

The last time I talked to this young woman
she was sitting at her desk and frowning
at a beautiful woman’s photograph
formatted for a magazine cover.

I said, “She’s really pretty, isn’t she?”

Frowning, the young woman said, “I don’t know
who she is. I’ve never seen her before.”

I said, “That’s Brooklyn Decker. She’s the wife
of Andy Roddick. He’s a tennis star.”

The young woman shrugged. She said, “I know him.
For a while he went out with Mandy Moore.”

Mandy Moore! I almost wanted to cheer.

I said, “That’s right. But they broke up and now
Andy is married to Brooklyn Decker.
She’s a model. And she’s an actress, too.”

Still frowning, the young woman said, “Of course.”

I said, “Mandy Moore is still around, too.
She did the voice in the movie ‘Tangled.’
And she got married. To a musician.”

The young woman frowned, sighed and rolled her eyes.
“Married a musician. Of course. What else.”

I didn’t point out it could have been worse.

Out there in the world there are failed writers.

That’s worse than marrying a musician—
It’s like trying to cross a busy street
in the middle of a block through traffic!








. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



The Once And Future Mandy Moore


Unrequited As A Cosmology


Gain Joyful Expressions


Leaving Mandy Moore



Notes From My Vampirella Expedition





















No comments: