Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Moon And Venus Beyond The Fox Point





That is the donut shop at night over-exposed
to get a good image of the Moon and Venus.

When there’s a storm at night electric lights look bright
and street lights and business signs illuminate rain
making raindrops shine against dark clouds overhead.

When the sky’s clear at night electric lights look small.

They’re still bright but electric lights against clear skies
look small, hardly like illumination at all.

When I took this photograph I took five pictures
because with a zoom lens and a long exposure
it’s difficult to hold the camera steady.

Taking five pictures to get one steady image,
I heard a man and woman walking behind me.

“What’s he taking a picture of?” the man whispered.

“Look,” the woman whispered. “See the Moon there so thin?”

“I would have missed it,” he whispered. “That’s beautiful.”

I couldn’t tell if they knew the star was Venus.

I would have told them but I had to concentrate
on standing still and they were both in a hurry
to get into the donut shop to buy donuts.

I once saw a fox run through that same parking lot.

I have no idea what the fox saw that night
but the fox was running as if he saw something.






. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


When I got home before I wrote up
this post I checked the phase of the Moon
at Wolfram|Alpha. When I took this image
the Moon was only 3.8% illuminated,
only about two days old.



*


The Sign From Arby’s At Night In The Rain


Motion Beyond The Fox Point


Wild Dogs As Acoustic Holdouts (Redux)



















No comments: