Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The Built World Redux—Art And Souvenir




Is history outside of us?
Is history what we can see?












The dinosaurs are in rocks now hard as stone themselves.
Unless they’re doing it someplace we don’t know about
the dinosaurs aren’t keeping notebooks and journals.
They’re not scrapbooking their time away from our soft world.
They don’t have blogs with text and photos and videos
of their hard time. Unless we just don’t know about it.
When they get out they’ll have to make do with memories.
Maybe they’ll repurpose our stars, make constellations
that illustrate a mythology of their rock time.
They’ll pass along memories in dinosaur folk songs.
They’ll share with each other their experience as stone
as they again rampage through this soft world, eating us.

When humans get repurposed as proteins, carbs and fats
I’m going to keep a journal by hand. I’m guessing
power grids will go down and batteries will run down.
I’m going to keep a journal by hand with pictures.
And I have cool acrylic gel so I can scrapbook
small bits and pieces of the wreckage of our soft world
into my journal along with my words and drawings.

When the dinosaurs leave the rocks, the rocks are just rocks.

If we work while we can, we can arrange this soft world
into designs that will persist after we’re eaten.

When the dinosaurs leave the rocks, the rocks are just rocks.

They’re going eat us, rip us out of this soft world.

If we work while we can, when we leave, we can leave art.









. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Motion Beyond The Fox Point


I Can’t Sleep In My Kitchen


Creatures Surrounded By Stone


Looking At A Street Light In The Jungle


Modern Romance In The Noir



Careful Thoughts And Getting Lost


Perfect Pages



The Built World Before The Wrecking Crew

I never would look for a souvenir
of the world around us when you were near




























No comments: