Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Built World Before The Wrecking Crew



You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons
With the money we’ve got...

...Panic bells it’s red alert
There’s something here
From somewhere else...

...Everyone’s a superhero
Everyone’s a Captain Kirk
With orders to identify
To clarify and classify...

...It’s all over and I’m standing pretty
In this dust that was a city
If I could find a souvenir
Just to prove the world was here
And here is a red balloon
I think of you and let it go





excerpts from Nena and Kevin McAlea







I never would look for a souvenir
of the world around us when you were near.

Walking through wreckage, torn, filthy, blood-stained
I’d kick down any structure that remained.

The patterns of clouds and patterns of stars
always would remind me of what was ours.

Walking through wreckage I would wreck it more.
I tear. I filth. I blood. I wreck. I war.

In the built world before the wrecking crew
the world before did what it did to you.


















No comments: