Tuesday, August 28, 2012

All The Issues Of Perspective





Dinosaurs and hippie girls is a world
but Georges Seurat’s notebooks is a world too
and Beethoven is a world but worlds change.

Dinosaurs changed and became Beethoven.

Beethoven changed to Georges Seurat’s notebooks.

Georges Seurat’s notebooks changed to hippie girls.

Hippie girls changed to what we have today.

Black and white birds on wires changed to color.

Chemicals changed to electricity.


I have a page torn from a magazine
a photo of a pretty French actress
and I was going to draw it freehand
and then talk about evaluating
the scene’s eye-line and the vanishing point
and how all the issues of perspective
the photographer juggled consciously
or subconsciously to create his scene
impose themselves on a freehand drawing
and even if you choose to ignore them
that choice is still them imposing on you.

I changed my mind. I took a photograph
of hippie pigeons on some wires out back
and spent my time playing with the color
rather than drawing a photo freehand.

Beautiful French actress changed to pigeons.

If I were some kind of supervillain
and some superhero defeated me
when they carted me off to a nuthouse
and locked me away without my camera
I’d laugh a supervillain kind of laugh
and I’d shout, “I can still draw, you bastards!
You’re making me stronger!”
Then I’d laugh more.

I admire supervillains because they
always keep their worldview in perspective.





. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



This is a very old fashioned kind of blog post, it’s just
me writing about how I spent my afternoon today—thinking
about drawing, taking a picture instead, and then writing
about thinking about drawing and taking a picture.

In case anyone’s wondering, that photo is Marion Cotillard.




Love Sonnet With Piano Wreckage And Worms


This Woman From The Canals Of Mars


Dinosaurs And Hippie Girls Is A World


Songs For Hippies Don’t Scare The Pigeons


Change: Sudden, Incomprehensible And Deadly


The Real World In Georges Seurat’s Notebooks


The Torn Picture Of A Guitar


Associative Editing Techniques



















No comments: