Tuesday, January 10, 2012

An Up-To-Date Vicki Inventory




“I forgot you took these pictures,” she said.
“Look how young and energetic I look!”

“They’re from last year,” I said. “Or less than that.
You were the same age then that you are now.”

She said, “It has been a long, umm, ten months.
And have you done anything with these yet?”

I shook my head. “I have trouble drawing
from photos,” I said. “I used to like it.
But now for some reason I never feel
any energy working from photos.”

She said, again, “It’s been a long ten months.”

I said, “If I could forget the ten months
the way you forgot I took the pictures,
maybe I would forget I have trouble
working from photographs. I could finish
this project and go on to something new.”

She looked at me and her eyes got narrow.
“If you forgot,” she said, “the last ten months
then you wouldn’t remember me, would you?”

“Well,” I said, “I would have the photographs.
And then maybe I would have drawings, too.”

“But you wouldn’t,” she said, “remember me!”

She looked at me and gasped. Her eyes got big.
“You would forget me, wouldn’t you?” she asked.
“You’d forget me if it would help you draw!”

I said, again, “I’d have your photographs.
And then maybe I would have drawings, too.”

So now, just to take an inventory,
I have her photographs but no drawings,
I can still remember the last ten months,
and where she punched me on my upper arm
there’s a big black and blue mark that still hurts.







. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Repurposing Vicki


The Best Reason To Study Astrophysics


Dinosaurs And Robots And Vicki’s Smile


















No comments: