Monday, October 04, 2010

Like A Tree I’m Going



If distance acts anything like we think distance acts
then Pluto is too far away for us to sing to





“There's only so far you can go on a lake.”

Sailor Debbie Starnes,
on why she’s planning to sail the
‘Great Loop’ voyage around the eastern US.
Quoted in
Crusing World magazine







You can only go so far on a lake
but on the ocean you can only go
so far, too. It’s just a bigger number.

Trees never go anywhere, at least not
in a direction anyone can see.
But trees, to me, look like they know a lot.

I wrote this leaning against a street light.
When I finished writing the first stanza
the bulb in the street light switched itself off.

I finished under another street light.
Wherever the light from that first light went
that’s where like a tree I’m going to go.











. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Street Light Phenomenon at Wikipedia


*


A Long Walk


Cell Phones, Street Lights, Something Like Honey


A Bird Who Could Fly To Neptune























No comments: