Friday, November 27, 2009

The Crypto-Politics Of Flowers And Kites


All the flowers of the future worked together
to send one marigold back in time to tell
me not to give a bunch of flowers to this girl
because of what she is going to do.

All the kites of the future worked together
to send one vinyl bat-wing kite back in time
to tell me not to take this girl kite flying
by the Pacific ocean because of what
she is going to do.

But I didn’t listen. I gave her flowers and
I took her kite flying by the Pacific
ocean.

And now I’m wondering about the future.
I’m wondering what this girl will do someday.

All the flowers of the future didn’t send a
robot marigold back in time to kill me.

All the kites of the future didn’t send a
robot vinyl bat-wing kite back in time to
kill me.

They just asked me politely not to do it.
They told me in the future there would be no
flowers, there would be no kites, if I gave this girl
flowers and if I took this girl kite flying by
the Pacific ocean.

But they didn’t kill me. And they didn’t tell
me details of what she is going to do.

And to be honest I really hadn’t been
planning on giving this girl flowers or taking
her kite flying by the Pacific ocean
until the marigold from the future and
the vinyl bat-wing kite from the future told
me not to do those things.

I wondered if I could trust the time traveling
marigold and vinyl bat-wing kite.

Maybe they were both mischievous pranksters from
the future trying to make me wreck things by
not doing those things.

Maybe they were both future psychologists
using reverse psychology trickery
to make me do things by telling me not to.

They told me not to give her flowers, not to take
her kite flying by the Pacific ocean.

But I didn’t listen. I gave her flowers and
I took her kite flying by the Pacific
ocean.

And now I’m wondering about the future.
I’m wondering what this girl will do someday.

This is how the modern world makes you crazy.

It makes you second-guess every little thing.






















No comments: