Thursday, June 21, 2007

Michael Lau: Freedom, Fun And Quality




“There are not many people in the world who like my work. The market is not that big. I am not a large company like Playmobil or Nike. I’m very underground—not many people know about what I do. This is all my own work. I do not have any assistants or anyone helping me. So my productivity is very limited because of my resources.”

Lau refers to himself as a one-man band who not only creates the original design for his figures, but also does the sculpting, checks the factory models, designs the packaging, and organizes distribution. He has found that this is the only way to ensure that his vision remains pure and undiluted, and that he gets exactly what he wants at every stage of the process. “A lot of people fail to pick up on this point. It’s very, very important. If you want to create anything in your own style, this format is the best process for making things happen. And also, don’t be greedy. There is only so much money in the world and you cannot have all of it. Never. And you cannot spend it all either. Enough is enough. The most important things are freedom and fun. And quality.”



Woodrow Phoenix





Michael Lau’s Wiki Page












No comments: