Friday, March 02, 2007

Happy Birthday Theodor Geisel!

Today is the birthday of Dr. Seuss! (Theodor Seuss Geisel, March 2, 1904 – September 24, 1991) Also, this year “The Cat In The Hat” is celebrating it’s fiftieth birthday.

I learned to read with Dr. Seuss. I’d sit in my Mom’s lap and she’d read the stories and point at the words. We’d do the same stories over and over and, soon enough, I’d be able to say the words by myself. I was one of those kids who could read before he even got to school, and I owe it all to Dr. Seuss. (And, I guess, my Mom.)

The coolest learning-to-read story I know is Richard Brautigan. His mother would take him shopping with her and he would look at the labels on packages of food. He learned to read by matching the kinds of food in the pictures to the lettering on the packages.










No comments: