Monday, April 17, 2006

Impossible Kisses: The Empty Lot Behind My House

Part 1 of 4

I saw a hairy monster
in the empty lot behind my house.
Among the bushes and trees and fallen logs
the creature moved slowly,
disappearing into evening shadows.
The overgrown empty lot
takes up only a city block.
Just bushes and trees and fallen logs.
Hardly an ecosystem.
Hardly a niche where a sasquatch might live.
But I saw this hairy monster,
tall, bent, man-like,
slouching through evening shadows.
The next day, in sunlight,
I walked through the empty lot.
I saw footprints in some soft dirt.
The big footprints led nowhere.
I know monsters don’t live behind my house.
I know sasquatch don’t live
in small, urban empty lots.
But I saw a hairy monster
in the empty lot behind my house.
Now evening shadows worry me.
Evening shadows make me think about
what other impossible things I might see.

No comments: