Monday, March 11, 2013

On Giving Flowers To The Loch Ness Monster



Flowers in a vase
Flowers in a vase
It’s a film about romance
It’s a book about grace

Flowers in a vase
Flowers in a vase
I’m not looking at the flowers
I’m looking at her face






I want to tell her about my Loch Ness dream but
I’m wide awake now. I say, “The flowers are pretty.”






If a woman kept the Loch Ness monster
in the water of a transparent vase
and purchased or picked fresh flowers every day
to arrange in the vase with the monster
and the woman one day simply vanished
never said goodbye took no possessions
left the vase with flowers by her east window
if the woman one day just disappeared
would her friends worry wonder where she went
report a missing person to the police
or would they think she’d gone into the vase
with the Loch Ness monster and all the flowers
like a final special new arrangement
as if all the earlier arrangements
were a lifetime of practice and study?

It wouldn’t hurt to report her missing
but I bet the police would never find her.

I would keep the vase by my east window
and put fresh flowers in the vase every day
if I knew the woman who disappeared.

I’d study sunlight shining through the glass.

I’d practice arranging the flowers just right.

I think the only way I would find her
would be if the monster took me to her.




. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Puddle Monsters

Puddle Monsters: Puddles In The Sky
























No comments: