Wednesday, May 04, 2011

A Quick Robot Guitar Note


Hmmm. That girl is playing a robot guitar.

I’ve talked about keyboards and synthesizers so much lately that I’ve felt bad for my guitar. Here in real life, I actually practice and play my guitar more than my keyboard.



But since synthesizers, for the most part, use keyboard controllers and I’ve been thinking a lot about synthesizers, I’ve been posting more about keyboards than guitar.

But in terms of music I still, of course, think of myself as a guitarist.

Now that my fingers are getting more comfortable with seventh chords on my keyboard I’m hoping to start playing the keyboard more, but I don’t expect ever to put my guitar away in the closet.

I have (very tentative) plans to do a music post this Friday and although I plan on using my keyboard for the music, I’ve actually worked out what I’ll be playing on my guitar.

I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It seems like a good idea to learn cool new things and keyboards and synthesizers are cool things, and new for me. But I wonder if taking time away from the guitar is a good thing. I mean, heck, I’m still learning that!

I don’t know.

I got to thinking about this because there was a story in the news recently about that “robot guitar” Gibson makes. The newest version, the “Firebird X” has been delayed. This is the second delay.

Can’t be a good sign. And the comments at the Gibson site are almost unanimously negative. That can’t be a good sign, either. You’ve got to wonder if the robot guitar is just going to disappear.

Here are some current links about the robot guitar:

Gibson Firebird X home page

Gibson's Firebird X 'revolution' delayed again at MusicRadar



(Sometimes I think about trading in my keyboard for a new Ovation acoustic guitar and just reading about synthesizers. I don’t think I’m going to do that. But I think about it. I mean, music is about melody and harmony and rhythm. Not about oscillators, filters and amplifiers. And when you play guitar, your fingers touch the vibrating strings, not mechanical keys. And, of course, an acoustic guitar will still make music even if—for some reason—the power lines were to all fall down. I don’t know. It’s stuff that’s on my mind.)







. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Gibson’s New Robot Guitar


Knobs


A Nod To Guitars With Knobs



I Can’t Sleep In My Kitchen


















No comments: