Friday, May 08, 2009

Someday: The Last Expedition


I’m guessing there will come a day
when the shoreline around Loch Ness
will be just shoreline and without
people desperate for monsters.

One time I sat in a prairie
at night on the grass with no tent
and I had no fear of spiders
and I didn’t look at the stars.

There is a world without monsters
and nobody needs a spaceship
to break free of Earth’s gravity
and then land or crash-land out there.

I’ve been there. I want to go back.
If I were at Loch Ness right now
I know I’d look at the water.
But I would try to look away.








. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



... And if you can just keep yourself alive
through the boredom between expeditions
and
if the terror of imagining
what the monsters might do if they caught you
finally doesn’t become too much for you
that’s what makes monster hunting so much fun...



Expeditions













No comments: